Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How big is God.....really?

           As I was driving down the road today, coming back from the library with my little ducklings in tow, I began to think about the Lord. Sometimes my wheels get spinning and they run away with themselves and this is usually when an idea for a piece of writting falls right into my lap. Today, I began to think about and ponder this thought: just how BIG is God....really? How amazingly huge, complex, superior, and soverign (just to name a few) our Lord must be to have created the entire universe and everything in it! Every once in a while I think I may have a tiny glimmer of an idea of how big He must be and my breath is taken away by it. It only lasts for a split second, though, and then it evades me once more.
           Think about the amount of time and energy it takes for us to love somebody. Not just love them as in that oh-she's-so-sweet-I-love-her love, but LOVE them as in till-death-do-us-part love. To know someone up and down, inside and out, down to the very marrow of their bones. To seek out their every emotion, thought, like, dislike, good and bad quality and to write this information on the very flesh of your heart, to store it away in the very core of your soul. Now that's giving one hundred percent of yourself one hundred percent of the time! It makes me weary just thinking about the time and energy it takes for us, as humans, to love even one person this way. God, however, loves all His children this way.
          This is how big the Lord is.  He didn't simply create us and then leave us to go on our way, fumbling through the world and hoping we'll get it right at some point. He didn't just randomly throw darts at the board of physical, mental, and emotional attributes when creating His precious children. No. He scrutinized, analyzed, pondered, and put some serious thought into how each and everyone of us would turn out. Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you." Our Lord is not an arbitrary God! Psalm 139 says our God has searched us and known us. In verse 3 the Psalmist says, "You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways." Did you catch that? The Lord does not simply sit back and watch us as we scurry along the earth, he scrutinizes our paths and is intimately acquainted with every detail of our lives! Can you imagine how much energy (both physical and emotional) this must take? It's quite humbling to think about.
         While I cannot even begin to fathom the greatness (in all senses of the word) of our God, it is quite comforting to know that no matter where I go, no matter what I do I can never get away from Him. Not that I would want to, of course! However, it is nice to know that in case I ever have a moment of temporary insanity/stupidity and try to escape Him, it simply cannot be done. Paul says in Romans that, "I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." I'd say that pretty much sums up just how BIG our Lord really is, wouldn't you?
        This is not something I ever expect to be able to comprehend or wrap my mortal, human brain around. At least not until that glorious day He calls me home and I see Him face to face. For now, I can trust in a Father's love so big, so immensely huge, that (even though this world is big and scary) I will never get lost again.

                                                          Love always,
                                                                Eva
 
 

 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment